Friday, July 1, 2011

Savory Scrolls.




These are great. I usually serve them to guests for breakfast, take them to work for morning tea or simply serve them with hot soup. I usually use my own relish as the middle spread. I am yet to do vegemite and cheese, but I cannot see why this recipe would not work...just omit herbs etc. Enjoy!

What you will need:
3 cups of self raising flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
Mixed herbs – or fresh herbs
50 grams of butter, chilled, chopped
¾ cup milk
½ - ¾ cup tomato relish or sweet chilli sauce – I use half and half
1 ½ cups grated tasty cheese – I just use my eye and sprinkle enough cheese for personal taste.
Pinch of salt
Cracked pepper

So, what do you have to do?
  • Preheat oven to 210 degrees C
  • Place flour, baking powder, salt and pepper through a sifter and place in a large bowl. Rub in chilled butter with your finger tips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
  • Make a well in the centre. Add herbs.
  • Combine milk with 1/3 cup water.  Pour liquid into the well. I mix my dough with the blade of a butter knife. Mix until the dough forms a large clump.
  • Roll out the dough onto a work surface dusted with flour and kneed lightly until it forms a smooth ball.
  • Roll out the dough to a rectangle approximately 30 cm x 40 cm. Spread with tomato relish or sweet chilli sauce and cover with cheese.
  • Roll up form the short sides to form a large dough cigar. Slice the roll into pieces approximately 3 cm wide.
  • Place scrolls close together a on a baking tray lined with non stick baking paper. You can place them close together and you will get a similar look to most bakeries. As I prefer them slightly well done, I tend to spread them apart allowing each scroll room for growth.
  • Brush each with milk.
  • Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. If the scrolls start to brown too quickly cover them with foil.
  • Cool on a wire rack then break apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment