Friday, August 5, 2011

Corned beef - my way!

I simply love corned beef, there is something comforting in sitting down to a heap of vegetables and corn beef….smothered in white and mustard sauces.


·          Rinse the corned beef before cooking. Run it under cold water to remove any blood or brine.
·          Use a large saucepan, cover meat with cold water. Slowly bring to the boil. Do not let the meat boil though. As the meat begins to simmer a greyish foam will begin to form. Use a ladle to skim this off. Discard foam.
·           Add:
o         1 peeled onion, chopped in half
o         1 stick of celery roughly chopped in to large pieces
o         1 carrot, again roughly chopped
o         3-6 peppercorns
o         3-6 cloves
o         ½ cup balsamic vinegar – you can use any vinegar. I prefer malt vinegar.
·          Simmer your meat for about 2 hours – do not let it boil or you will toughen the meat.

1 comment:

  1. OK Stu I am going to try it your way. I usually add 2 bay leaves and some mustard powder and I haven't tried the onion and carrots in the cooking - just serve that later with cabbage and potato. Perhaps later this week so I will let you know
    Love Christine xx

    ReplyDelete