Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pam's Chocolate steamed pudding and chocolate sauce - you have to try this!

This recipe was given to me by my mother, Pam. When I am next speaking to her I shall ask her where she got the recipe from. The steamed pudding recipe has been around as long as I can remember. As a child whenever I was allowed to pick my favourite dish THIS WAS IT.

Without a doubt this recipe is easy, cheap to make …………..and totally foolproof. I have never had a steamed pudding not turn out.

I am so glad that I share my mother’s passion for cooking. Every time I cook this recipe, and share it with guests, I think of her. Although she may not be sitting around the table with us I quietly thank her for contributing in making my guests happy and satisfied.

So where do you start?
You will need:
Pudding
2 tablespoons of cocoa
1 cup of self raising flour
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
½ cup of milk
2 tablespoons of butter, melted

Sauce – I tend to double this recipe!!
3 dessertspoons of corn flour
2 tablespoons of cocoa
1 cup of water
¼ cup of sugar
1 dessertspoon butter
Vanilla to taste

What to do:
Place a huge pot of water onto the stove to boil. You need this boiling so that your pudding may be placed into the pot as soon as you make the mixture.

Grease your pudding tin and lid with butter…I have been known to cheat with cooking oil/spray.

HINT: Grease a piece of tin foil to place between the lid and the pudding mixture.

Pudding: Place all dry ingredients into a cake mixer, add milk and blend for three minutes. As the pudding batter is blending add the melted butter. Once done, place the mixture into your pudding tin. Place greased tin foil across the top. This prevents the pudding sticking to the lid. The tin foil also tightens the seal between the tin and lid, when in place. Secure the lid in position.

I am paranoid about water seeping into the pudding tin so I tend to wrap the tin with tin foil x 2, then place a couple of rubber bands around the lid seal, securing the foil in place. Anal I know, but hey, whatever works I guess.

Carefully place pudding into the boiling water so that is floats evenly. Do not submerge. Keep the kettle handy, with hot water on hand, to top up the saucepan as required. Do not let the water level drop so the pudding rests on the bottom of the saucepan. Using a lid will reduce water levels dropping significantly and will reduce the condensation in the kitchen.

Boil for 1 ½ hours.

Once done I take the pudding tin out and rest it on the sink while I unwrap the sucker. Do not burn your fingers trying to find the rubber bands. I use scissors or a knife. I remove the lid and cover with my serving plate. I then tip the pudding upside down onto the plate. It should fall out. If it doesn’t fall straight away, leave it upside down – it should fall.

Sauce: Make a paste out of the cocoa and corn flour using a little water or milk. Make sure there aren’t any lumps. Add everything to a saucepan and stir continuously over medium heat. Once the sauce looks like it is about to change consistency turn the heat down. While waiting for the heat to settle on the stove top, remove it from the heat and continue stirring. Do not let it produce a solid thick layer on the bottom of the saucepan. KEEP STIRRING. Place it back onto heat source and stir until it thickens.

The secret to a good sauce is knowing that it is okay to remove it from the heat while stirring it and placing it back on the heat as required. Too much heat and you will have a blobby lump.

This sauce tends to thicken considerably when cold. I tend to ¾ make it, then remove it from the heat. I then place it in the refrigerator and finalise the cooking process while preparing for dessert to be served.

Serve with – strawberries, ice cream, grated peppermint crisp or grated mint slice biscuits.

HINT: I have added coconut, orange zest and juice etc. I have split the batter into two parts – only adding cocoa to one half of the mixture and leaving one half vanilla. Place alternate spoonfuls into tin for a marbled cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment