Sunday, December 4, 2011

Cous Cous Salad - My version

Cous Cous Salad – Stuart’s version

My friend Kathleen has asked for a recipe. Thanks for the ego boost Kath. Okay, I am going to throw it out there. I cheat a little. For the base of my cous cous salad I use Ainslee’s Spice Sensation Cous Cous Salad Mix – you get this from Woolworths. You get two satchels in a packet. I use both packets if I am preparing a salad to share.

I make the cous cous as per his instructions, then I let it sit to cool.

I place the following in a massive salad bowl and toss it all together and then place it into my serving bowl.

This is what I shall be serving on Christmas day.

5 -6 leaves of wombok, washed and shredded relatively finely
2-3 spring onions/shallots, cut into small pieces on the angle
Cucumber, cubes
1 red capsicum, finely sliced
½  green capsicum, finely sliced
½ bunch of coriander, roughly chopped (I prefer larger pieces so the leaves can still be recognised)
A handful of mint finely shredded
1 carrot, grated
1 can of corn kernels, drained (I place on paper towel to remove excess liquid after it has been drained)
1 mango, cubed – trust me well worth placing in – people will be surprised but it stunning to the taste buds
I also place a handful of crushed nuts in mine too. (I buy cashew, unsalted peanuts and almonds – chop them in the blender and freeze them. Then I always have them on hand to use as needed).
1 chilli (optional)

Sauce – I am sorry that I cannot give exact measures for the following as I simply make it to taste, but I shall give it a go.

I make up a large bottle of this and place it in the fridge. I use it as needed. I do not pour any dressing over the cous cous salad. I serve is separately so people can add as much as they personally desire.

My sauce consists of sweet soy, about ½ bottle, ½ tablespoon soy sauce, a couple of tablespoons of fish sauce, a tablespoon of brown sugar – heat it up, do not boil, when cool re bottle etc. You can add lime or lemon etc.  If you want to cheat here you could always make the sauce that people use for the Chan noodle salad – they even have it pre-made now too. I hope this helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment